Monday, November 8, 2010

A New Album Every Day

When I first started this blog, I didn't want to make it all about music because that is already such a big part of my life. But in the tour van the other day I decided that I needed to make more of an effort to listen to a wider range of music. I realised that there are a lot of classic albums that other people take for granted, but that I'd never properly listened to. Plus, there are hundreds of more recent albums that I've always meant to listen to, but never got round to doing.

So I've made a commitment to listen to at least one album in its entirety every day for the next year. No cherry-picking favourites or skipping ones that don't give me instant gratification.

The thing is that this is going to kill two birds with one stone. Because every week I'm going to do a blog post of the 7 (or more!) albums that I've just listened to. Some weeks will probably be more inspired than others, but even if I just write a list of the albums that I've listened to it will help me get into a more consistent rhythm of blogging.

I'm sure that I'll listen to some of my already favourite albums during the year (and I'm starting with OK Computer today!), but I'm hoping to find plenty more. If there is anyone reading this, please give me some suggestions. I don't care if they are albums that you think I'll love or ones that you think I'll hate, just let me know.

4 comments:

  1. Here's a few of my favourites of 2010.

    Big Boi - Sir Luscious Left Foot; The Son of Chico Dusty (hip hop)
    Die! Die! Die! - Form (punk)
    You Am I - You Am I (awesome)
    Parades - Foreign Tapes (indie pop)
    Surf City - Kudos (indie pop)
    Tokyo Police Club - Champ (indie pop.. fuck, I sense a trend)
    My Disco - Little Joy (noise rock)
    Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles II (noise electronica)
    Foals - Total Life Forever (indie pop)

    Looking forward to your weekly posts. I'll hold you to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would highly recommend 'Tales of Time and Space', one of my favourite jazz albums by Paul Grabowski. I would also suggest Rufus Wainwright. Not a day goes by that I don't listen to some Rufus. If you haven't heard him before I would suggest 'Want Two' and 'Poses'.

    Also looking forward to your weekly posts.

    Bek

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought of a few more, although you probably know a lot of them:

    The Decemberists - 'The Hazards of Love'
    Belle & Sebastian - 'Dear Catastrophe Waitress'
    Camera Obscura - 'My Maudlin Career'
    Bill Callahan - 'Sometimes I Wish We Were an Eagle'
    White Noise - 'An Electric Storm'
    Rufus Wainwright = 'All Days are Nights: Songs for Lulu'
    Karl Jenkins - 'The Armed Man: A Mass for Peace'

    More later.

    Bek

    ReplyDelete
  4. Regina Spektor - Far
    Howl - Howl EP (or just listen to them play before you)
    Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
    Washington - I Believe You Liar

    All of those albums have something in common - they're albums where all of the tracks are equally as good.

    ReplyDelete