Sunday, September 12, 2010

Good and Evil

I was trawling Youtube the other day and came across a great video made by RSA Animate. Basically what they do is get a talk by an inspiring speaker and then illustrate the talk. Not only is it really cool just to watch the illustrations take place, it actually helps (me, at least ...... and probably the other however millions that have watched all their videos) remember what the speaker is talking about.

I'd come across one of their videos before, so I was pretty sure I'd like this one too:




Its about people's concept of time and how they arrange things in their lives based on whether they are looking at the past, the present or the future. It was particularly interesting to me because one of the people I live and work with (I haven't really been too subtle with that) and I have very, very different concepts of time.

Feel free not to watch the whole video (although its quite mesmerising and hard to click off it) or maybe just look at a range of the ones RSA Animate and find one that's particularly interesting to you.

The thing is, the video I really want you to watch is the next one. Its by the speaker in the video above (Phillip Zimbardo) and its about what turns good people evil. It touches on research he did as part of the Stanford prison study, the Milgram experiments and focuses on the torture at the Abu Ghraib prisons.

Its pretty powerful and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since I watched it almost a week ago.



Its 23 minutes long and not animated like the other video (which might account for why its been seen much less than the other one), but its worth every second.

2 comments:

  1. Really intersting lectures man.
    The experiments on the students sounded a little contradictory to his message of compassion. I wish he explained how he felt about it retrospectively.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure he feels regret at letting himself get so out of control with it and he seems ashamed that it took someone else to point that out to him. But I also think that he feels the knowledge about human nature that was gained from the experiment was worth it. And that is probably the opinion of most social psychologists!

    ReplyDelete