Monday, December 6, 2010

Week 1 Of The Album A Day Project

So this project of mine has failed on both accounts. I haven't listened to an album every day and it hasn't prompted me to write more. The plus-side though is that I have been listening to a lot more music than the last couple of months and I have been listening to a lot more albums, rather than just tracks I like.

For the sake of pretence, I'm going to write about 7 albums at a time even if they weren't listened to in a calendar week.

It all started with Radiohead's "OK Computer". Its a little bit embarrassing to think that I didn't like Radiohead until about 3 or 4 years ago, but I'm now so well acquainted with this album that I found myself tuning out until I heard my favourite tracks.

I first came across Real Estate when we saw them at The Great Escape in Brighton. They play that surf-indie-pop that seems to be really popular at the moment, but their self-titled album is much, much dreamier. In fact, its perfect music to put on when you're having a bath. Or if you're on a long bus trip. Or whenever you just want to escape life in general. Or someone specific.

Day 3 (lie!) was an album I picked up about a week after we moved to London. There is a record store near where we lived and it proved too much of a temptation not to buy something. I'd never heard of Ty Segall, but the album cover was great and a quick listen on the store-provided headphones was enough to seal the deal. It sounds VERY 90s, but that's cool again, right?

A long time ago we played a gig with Dan Kelly at the basement in Sydney. We were pretty chuffed because we had been fans of his stuff for quite a long time. I'd say he probably doesn't remember us at all and I haven't gotten around to his latest one yet (is it worth my time?), but "Drowning In The Fountain Of Youth" is still a really good album. Not great, but good.

On the drive up to Brisbane recently we snuck on "Tuff Teef" by I Heart Hiroshima while Susie was asleep. She woke up about halfway through and got a bit angry that we were listening to it, but I think it was just to cover her embarrassment. Not that she needed to be embarrassed. Its really cool and hopefully they put out something else soon (if we ever let her have time off from touring).

The more I hear of LCD Soundsystem, the more I love the band. Its brilliant in its simplicity, but then its full of really diverse ideas as well. Its funny, but not stupid. Its music I'd love to be able to make really. I'd never heard "Get Innocuous" the whole way through before, but I've played it a couple of times now and I don't think I'll be getting sick of it any time soon.

The last album I listened to this week (ha!) was "13" by Blur. As great as the rest of the album is, it all pales in comparison to the opening track "Tender", which I assume must have flipped a few fans out when they first heard it. I only assume because I missed out on any pop music throughout the 90s the first time around. I was too consumed with my jazz phase …

But you should probably check them all out for yourselves if you haven't already.

No comments:

Post a Comment