Wednesday, April 29, 2009

What a freaking awesome idea!

So it seems that I just can’t get enough of this blogging at the moment. What I wanted to talk about is something I heard on a TV show last week. The thing is, the show in question has a host that I previously thought was a bit of a prat … but I think I’m beginning to be able to tolerate him and at times, might even like him.

I’m talking about Wil Anderson and his show The Gruen Transfer. Check it out on ABC1 on Wednesday nights at 9am.

ANYWAYS, what caught my attention on last week’s show was the innovative way the New York Department of Education is trying to improve school attendance, student behaviour and class performance.


What they are trialling is giving each student a mobile phone that automatically switches to “School mode” during school hours and can be used for research only, then outside of school hours it operates as a normal phone. But the best thing is, students get rewarded with things like download points to buy music/ringtones/games etc off their phone.

When I watched that, my mind was blown. Obviously there are some concerns about the idea, like is it just a marketing ploy by mobile phone companies? Or is it bribing the students? How long before they are all hacked? But I think that they are really petty when you consider the huge potential this idea has.

I tried a quick search on the interweb to see what the results of the trial were, but the only information I could find (although I have to admit that my Googling skills at 2am are fairly poor and my research methodology is quite shallow) was that the trial was ended due to the cost being too high.

I did however, find some other trials of cash incentives and an “Incentive Bank” in schools in other states of America. While that is still a better reward than a gold star, it lacks anything truly innovative. It is simply following the concept of positive reinforcement.

What sets apart the trial in New York is that not only did it have the incentive side, it was also an incredibly useful learning tool to have in the classroom.

Regardless of the fact that the trial has been shelved at the moment, I think the idea is amazing and is something that will be followed through with in time. I’d love to see an Australian government (state or federal, I don’t mind) have the balls to try such a radical proposal in any department – maybe they can include it with their laptop to every student promise (and then they can build their stupid freaking internet filter in too). Bah!

If you want to read about it or watch that portion of The Gruen Transfer: http://www.abc.net.au/tv/gruentransfer/stories/s2549912.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment